Sunday, November 19, 2006

Crochet Ripple Rug circa 8Os


Voila the Ripple rug that I did in the 80s. This one has been stuffed in the back of a cupboard for a while now as zig zag crochet became crass. I remember doing this one when the kids were young. I like the effect of the rainbow. Basically this was all odds and sods and I somehow managed to get a pattern in the way the colours worked.


The stitch is a simple treble or double crochet as the Americans would say. I can't believe I ever did this. There is no way I would take on something of this size again. Those rows are quite long - 300 stitches across, and 164 rows of 10 up, 2ch, 10 down, miss 1 and then up again. The zig zag ripple gives the fabric a bit of stretch. This rug used to be a favourite for sleepovers when the kids were little. Now it is stuffed in a cupboard. I am sure it will have a few more days of glory if I hang onto it.


It is worked in 5 ply yarn which is hard to come by now, and double knit or 8 ply seems to have taken over.

Any hoos thanks for looking!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That thing is HUGE, lol! So cool though! Those colors are soooo retro and that's totally back in style! I don't think I have enough patience for something that size! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow Stunning!!!!

Anonymous said...

whaouuuu it's wonderful !

Aim said...

That's really beautiful!

Shaheen said...

very,very beautiful!